Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
And, these Keto cinnamon rolls are as close to the real Cinnabon as you are going to get when looking for a Keto, Low-Carb and Gluten Free option….mmmm.
Do you love cinnamon rolls?
Did you think that the Keto diet means that you would never experience the sweet & buttery taste of Cinnabon again?
If so…you’re right. This is a Keto recipe, it’s not magic. Haha.
But it is damned delicious and we are thrilled to bring you our Keto cinnamon roll mug cake with butter & cream cheese frosting.
Take a couple of minutes to make yourself one these Cinnabon-esque cinnamon rolls, you deserve it.
This is really simple and sports only 5 ingredients.
I mean seriously how can you go wrong when 3 of the ingredients are butter, cream cheese and cinnamon?
After that you add more butter and cream cheese to make cream cheese icing and life is good.
Recipe Tip: Room Temp Cream Cheese and Butter.
When you make the Cream cheese and butter frosting it will be much easier to mix if the cream cheese and butter are soft, but not melted.
(We live in a cold climate, if you live in a warm climate and your “room temp” means that your butter and cream cheese mix easily when it sits out for a few minutes than you can skip all of this section.)
There are a couple ways you can do this.
- You can stick the cream cheese in the microwave for about 10 seconds by itself, and then stir in the butter and put that back in the microwave for another 5 seconds or so.
Butter that is not already melted is pretty sketchy in the microwave because it is mainly just water and fat.
In the microwave the water around the edges of the butter will start to sizzle and splatter within what seems like about 2 seconds.
2. The toaster oven method is a little better for making the frosting.
Before you start doing anything else, turn your toaster oven to about 110ºF and in a bowl that you can mix the frosting in, just set it in the toaster oven.
In the time it takes you to make the cinnamon roll, the butter and cheese should be soft and easy to mix into creamy deliciousness.
Recipe Tip: How to Choose the Right Mug For your Cinnamon Rolls
You may have noticed in the pictures that my mug cakes always turn out with nice straight sides and a flat top. Like a cake shape.
That’s because I have the perfect mug. For this recipe I used the mug in the middle.
When you are planning on frosting your mug cake it’s nice to have a flat top.
Also, you will want to choose a 16oz mug or bowl for this recipe.
They have them on Amazon – they also work really well for soup.
Just the word cinnamon is delicious. It’s fun to say and it’s up there with chocolate as one of my favorite flavors.
But what you may not know is that it’s really good for you.
For thousands of years cinnamon was primarily used for it’s powerful medicinal properties.
And recently studies have shown that cinnamon is indeed “all-that.”
Cinnamon is Anti-inflammatory.
Reducing inflammation is good because less inflammation feels better. And, keeps you safe from all of the nastiness that inflammation causes ( Cancer, arthritis, etc.).
Your joints and muscles will be less stiff and sore and if you add this to the anti inflammatory effects of Keto, you will be feeling pretty great. (I can personally attest to this)
Also Reducing inflammation can reduce blood cholesterol because the body makes cholesterol in response to inflammation.
This in turn will of course be good for your blood pressure and circulation. Your heart will thank you.
Cinnamon has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.
It reduces levels of bad LDL cholesterol while leaving the good HDL cholesterol alone.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants
If you want to protect your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals eating cinnamon is a great way to do it.
In a study that compared the antioxidant affect of 26 spices including “superfoods” like garlic and oregano, Cinnamon came out on top by a long shot.
Cinnamon is such a powerful antioxidant that it can even be used a natural food preservative.
Cinnamon helps fight Fungal & Bacterial Infections.
Cinnamaldehyde – the magical compound in cinnamon – may help fight all kinds of infections.
Eating cinnamon inhibits the growth of some pretty nasty food borne bacteria like listeria and salmonella too!
Cinnamon is a great complement to a Ketogenic Diet.
One of the really great effects of eating cinnamon is that it lowers blood sugar by increasing insulin sensitivity.
What that means for low carb and keto dieters is that the very few carbs that we do eat are run through the system with a minimum amount of insulin.
This is a BIG Mug Cake…
I even shared mine with Brenna…but secretly, I wanted to save half for later.
These go really well with strong coffee and good conversation so feel free to share yours too!
Cheers and Keto on!
Low Carb 2 Minute Cinnabon
90 Second Cinnabon
- 1 egg large
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
- In a large mug, or ramakin add all of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a fork. Make sure there are no clumps and the baking powder and cinnamon are evenly distributed.
- Melt butter (in a separate dish in the microwave) This should take about 10 seconds put a saucer on top so that it doesn't splatter on the inside of your microwave.
- Add melted butter and egg to the mug with the dry ingredients.
- Beat it like your making an omelet. Use a fork for this and make sure you scrape it off the bottom and sides.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. The cinnamon roll should be pulling away from the sides of the mug when it is done. if it is not, microwave for another 15 seconds.
- Set aside and allow to cool in the mug while you make the frosting.
Make the Frosting
- In the dish that you used to melt butter, add the frosting ingredients, and mix thoroughly – until it looks like frosting. It is easiest to do this mixing with a fork, so you can squish it together. It will also be easier to mix if the butter and cream cheese are at room temp. If they are just out of the fridge, you can put them in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Remove from the mug. After the cinnamon roll is cooled in the mug for a few minutes, it should be easy to remove.
- Use a spoon or silicone scraper to frost the cinnamon roll. This is not like frosting a regular cake. you want the cinnamon roll to be a little warm so the frosting melts and sinks in a little
Readers’ Favorite Categories:
The nutrition information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy – we try to be as accurate as we can, but if it doesn’t look right please feel free to do your own calculations.