Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
This Keto Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake is a quick and delicious fall treat.
I love pumpkin but there has been a bunch of bickering in the Keto Community asking whether or not Pumpkin is actually Keto friendly. It is, but it’s not the lowest carb food you could choose so just keep an eye on how much of it you’re consuming.
One of the best things about the Keto diet is the number of choices that are out there.
Pumpkin has a ton of vitamins and minerals to support a healthy lifestyle. It’s a freaking super food and is delicious so I make room for it in my carb count when I know I am going to have this pumpkin mug cake.
I try to stay under 20 carbs a day so I know that if I eat this than I have 15 carbs left to do whatever I like with.
You can make this treat in minutes and it has an awesome texture.
- If you are using canned pumpkin make sure that it’s pureed pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling is full of sugar.
- I like to add a small amount of vanilla extract to the mix because it’s delicious and gives it more flavor.
- Keep it nut free or add chopped walnuts for something extra special.
- Keto Whipped cream is the bomb on this cake.
- You can make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice. The recipe is included in my Pumpkin Pie post. It’s easy and much less expensive than buying pre-made.
- Coconut flour cannot be equally exchanged in this recipe because of they way each absorbs liquid.
Keto Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake
- 3-1/2 tbsp almond flour
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp Erythritol or Swerve
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- Optional: 3-5 drops liquid stevia
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mug or a ramekin and combine well, make sure there are no clumps.
- In a separate bowl (cereal bowl will work) beat egg with pumpkin puree (and stevia if using).
- Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture
- Microwave on high for 70-90 seconds.
- (If you want to cook the mug cake in a regular oven, or you don’t have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 350 °F and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the center.)
- When done, you can optionally top the mug cake with whipped cream, sour cream or creamed coconut milk
Readers’ Favorite Categories:
So many Keto, low carb recipes for desserts and bread turn out eggy. This mug cake doesn’t have that business going on.
I happen to like the eggy taste but enough is enough already right?
Desserts on the Keto Diet should be considered a treat…
When I was first considering trying out the Keto Diet I was worried that I would be miserable because I loved sweets. Thom tried to convince me that the cravings would go away pretty quickly but that didn’t really stick with me because he has never been a “dessert” person.
Sure he would eat dessert but it didn’t seem to matter to him as much as it did to me. If we had it great…if not great. So, my thoughts were that he didn’t want/need dessert before Keto so how could he actually know?
The initial craving were hard for me during the first few days of the Keto Diet. So if you are just starting out make sure you arm yourself with the ingredients that you need to make yourself a treat.
This means preparing for cravings by shopping for erythritol, almond flour, natural peanut butter (if you’re into that) and some organic cocoa powder.
Check out the shopping list to help you get into Keto mode. Having the right foods available and getting enough healthy fat will make the transition much easier…I swear.
Your body is going to go though a metabolic change. You are going to change your body over from a sugar burning machine to a fat burning machine. So you don’t need the hassle of cravings trying to throw you off track.
Once you hit Ketosis you might feel a little under the weather. The Keto Flu symptoms only last a few days and it’s mild for some people.
If your diet was fairly healthy before you started Keto, your symptoms will be mild and carb withdrawal may not slow you down too much.
If your diet was carb and sugar laden before you started, the detox process might be more noticeable. You can check out the Keto Supplements list if you are worried that you may fall into this category.
Remember: You don’t need to spend a lot of money to do the Keto Diet…in fact you don’t “need” to buy anything but the food. But, supplements can help you through the “carb detox” better known as the Keto Flu stage of the process.
Once you do get through it your cravings will indeed be reduced…I know it sounds like BS but it’s true.
Don’t give up. It’s going to be worth it.
Whats your favorite Keto Dessert?
As always, if you have any questions or comments about this recipe or anything else I would love to hear from you!