Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
These Keto french toast muffins taste just like the classic French Toast that you grew up with!
Don’t believe me?
Just wait until you taste them. They are French Toast. The cinnamon, the texture, even the eggs combined with the coconut flour meld perfectly to create the unmistakable quality of this toasty breakfast (and sometimes dinner) dish .
Even I have a hard time believing that they’re low carb…and it’s my recipe.
They’re a new favorite in our house, and I have that on the authority of a non-Keto teenager.
(This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we may make a commission at no cost to you when you make a qualifying purchase. You can see our fascinating disclosures if you want to know more about this thrilling topic.)
Let’s just get this out of the way, this post contains Amazon links. As an Amazon Associate we will earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases. Don’t worry, there is no additional cost to you.
I know you want to get to the guilt free Keto deliciousness of these French Toast Muffins, So let’s get started.
Gather Your Ingredients
It sucks when you get into a great recipe and realize that you missing something, or right after you put it in the oven you remember that you forgot to add something like baking soda.
I recommend that you gather all of the ingredients before you start mixing.
This is a super easy recipe.
Really, all you do is put some stuff in a blender, blend it, pour it, bake it, and even if all you have is the recipe and instructions it will turn out delicious.
Even so, here are some tips that will make it even easier and more delicious.
Choosing a muffin pan
The Dreaded Metal Muffin Pan
I found this out the hard way.
If you use a metal muffin pan that is lightly oiled, you will have to use a plastic knife to extract your muffins, they won’t just fall out.
It also took me about a half an hour to scrape and scrub that pan clean.
So if you’re going to use a metal muffin pan, I highly recommend that you also use muffin liners.
Silicone Muffin Pan
These are awesome. I know it might be weird to hear a man say this about a muffin pan, but it’s true.
With only a light oiling the muffins practically jump right out onto the plate.
The clean-up is easy, and there is none of that wasted muffin that gets stuck to the muffin liner.
You can even make fancy looking muffins with a silicone pan if you want to…
A word about Vanilla Extract
Pure vanilla extract will make French Toast better.
But you might have noticed pure vanilla extract has gotten terribly expensive.
Madagascar, where all the “fancy” vanilla beans are grown has been hit by some really nasty weather causing vanilla bean crops to fail several years in a row.
Supply and demand-kicked in and the price of Madagascar vanilla beans shot up by 10 times.
Somehow, Madagascar got the reputation as the only place to get vanilla, and that is the reason that vanilla cost so much right now.
Don’t despair, because there’s other vanilla that is just as delicious and won’t cost an arm and a leg.
A little known fact, vanilla actually originated in in Mexico and Central America.
This may be why when we were in Mexico we found AWESOME vanilla extract for about $2.00 a bottle.
We believe in using food as medicine around here and vanilla has some great benefits that you might not know about. Check them out…
You see berries in the pics. I didn’t include that in the nutrition info.
Okay, I will admit it I put them there because berries are photogenic, but they are also an exquisite way to add a little burst of Keto friendly fruit flavor.
But you should be careful with berries, don’t eat too many because the do have some carbs in them.
And, you want to watch out because some berries have a lot more carbs than others.
Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries have 8 net carbs per cup.
But a cup of Blueberries has 18 net carbs!
So have a blackberry or two with your French Toast Muffin. It’s not as Keto as bacon, but they are delicious, healthy, and they won’t stop your weight loss.
If you’re like Brenna, and fond memories of your youth include French Toast with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, you can get the keto friendly version with powdered erythritol.
When I was a kid, we usually had cinnamon & sugar on our French Toast, and you can get that flavor by mixing the granular erythritol with cinnamon.
But I know that sometimes you just want good ol’ fashioned maple syrup, and you can have that too, here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Erythritol
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Maple Extract
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- In a sauce pan, thoroughly mix the water, erythritol, and maple extract.
- Heat on medium low until it boils gently, simmer until the erythritol dissolves completely. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Put the liquid in a blender.
- Sprinkle in about 1/4 of a teaspoon of xanthan gum. This is tricky stuff, and you don’t want it to get lumpy, so sprinkle don’t pour and ensure that is distributed as evenly as possible.
- Immediately blitz (that means puree, Brenna loves that word. We’re hoping blitz catches on) and continue blitzing until mixture is consistently mixed.
- Wait about five minutes for the xanthan gum to do it’s magic, and then if the syrup is not as thick as you would like, repeat step 4 & 5, but use 1/16 or 1/8th of a teaspoon of xanthan gum – remember this is tricky stuff.
- Once it is thick enough enjoy it on your breakfast.
Nutrition for the Syrup: I don’t really count this because there is less than one calorie and less than one carb in a tablespoon.
There is about 12 calories and .53 carbs in a whole cup, so if your stomach is okay with the erythritol have as much as you want.
Now I know, sometimes you’re not going to have time to make syrup, I get that. That’s the way I am almost all the time.
So sometimes I will just sprinkle a little powdered erythritol and that’s pretty good.
I also mix the granular erythritol with some cinnamon. This is delicious and brings back fond memories of my youth.
But there are going to be times when you just really want maple syrup. In that case I use this one.
It has a clean sweet taste – the way syrup should taste – because it is sweetened with erythritol and monk fruit.
It won’t blow your carb count with only one carb per serving.
Keto French Toast Muffins Recipe
- muffin tin.
- Cupcake Liners
- Rubber Spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put muffin liners in a regular 12 muffin pan. Or, lightly grease a silicone muffin pan so that you can pour the batter directly into the pan.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until the ingredients are well incorporated. You may need to use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Pour the batter into the cups of the muffin pan, fill each well a little more than 3/4 to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the muffins rise and appear firm in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes. They will settle just a bit.
- Top them as you like and Enjoy
If you are looking for more easy breakfast ideas, here are a couple of my favorites.