Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
Low Carb Hot Cereal
(4 Net Carbs & Gluten Free)
Hey there! If you miss Cream of Wheat on Keto, this easy Keto Hot Cereal recipe is made for you!
We are already starting to have some pretty chilly days here in Colorado and this Keto Hot Cereal hit the spot when I was missing one of my childhood favorites...Cream of Wheat.
This version of Keto Hot Cereal is super customizable and you can add any flavor you like. I prefer mine with just Butter, Cinnamon & Sweetener (Keto of course) because that's how my favorite Auntie made it. She also made it lumpy but that doesn't really work with this recipe.
You can add whatever you like. Think Maple & Pecan, Cinnamon & Vanilla or Chocolate & Banana (yeah, you can use banana extract to keep it low carb). The variations are as endless as your imagination.
Lets get started on this Easy Keto Hot Cereal...
First of all...I know that some of you are going to balk, flinch, hesitate and refuse to try it because it is made from cauliflower.
But, I am going to be perfectly candid and tell you that I have nothing to gain by lying about how this tastes. My family likes it. You should at least try it. Yes, I am a Keto Blogger and I want you to try this recipe. But not because I wrote this post.
I want you to give it a shot because it is our mission to help people live a healthy, Keto Lifestyle. And, for me this means providing all of the options that I possibly can to help you succeed.
Helping people get healthy is important to us. There are TONS of Keto recipes out there. I cook, study , read and develop recipes every week , all week long.
So many recipes that I have dozens of unwritten posts for recipes I have made sitting in my files collecting dust.
I didn't have to choose this to write about.
But I like it and have I have absolutely no reason to steer you wrong in asking you to give it a chance....just once to see if it works for you.
I can say with full transparency that I am not holding any secret interests in the cauliflower industry (in case you were wondering).
In fact, before Keto we ate cauliflower approximately zero times per year. I prefer broccoli if I am just eating a veggie on the side with my dinner.
Why Should You Take a Chance on this Low-Carb Cereal if you don't love cauliflower?
- Maybe hot cereal was your jam before Keto.
- You might need something easy, that keeps well and will be available all week for an inexpensive breakfast or a snack.
- Perhaps you are trying to ween a pre-diabetic child or elder off of the carby foods.
- You could be the pre-diabetic.
- Maybe you are a harried, working Mom that wants to get healthy but always just ends up eating what the kids do because it's easier.
Or maybe you are like me and have some fond memories attached to it...am I weird for this?
I MISS Cream of Wheat. It was a part of my childhood, something I will never be ready to let go of.
I miss the family members that I shared this food with. They have been gone for so long and eating Cream of Wheat reminds me of them.
If any of you, or even just one of you enjoys this recipe because you love a hot bowl of cream of wheat for any reason, than it's worth it.
If you try it and leave me a comment that it sucked...meh, at least you tried it. Cool kids try new things.
It tastes nothing like cauliflower once you use the cooking method described in the recipe and the additions of butter, heavy whipping cream, erythritol and whatever spices or extracts that you choose.
If you like hot cereal than we have two other hot breakfast cereal options that you might like....
And don't forget to check out the other Keto Breakfast options after the recipe card. There are some good ones...
Tips for making the Keto Hot Cereal:
- I use frozen cauliflower for this dish and it works out well because it is frozen at the peak of freshness and it is pre-cut and weighed.
- After you microwave the cauliflower on high for 8-10 ( until really hot and steamy), take the lid off of the microwaveable container. This allows the steam to escape and dries out the cauliflower. It mellows out the flavor enough that you won't "taste" cauliflower in your cereal.
- Erythritol is the best sweetener that we have found because it's actually beneficial for you.We like this one.
- Add the sweetener to each bowl after you heat it up. Or allow people to sweeten their own so they can make it however they like it. Erythritol has a zero glycemic index so it doesn't add carbs.
You can use whatever you like but you should read this post about Low Carb Sweeteners so that you're informed about your choices. Some of them have some nasty, unintended sides effects.
- Berries are a delicious addition.
- A while ago I discovered this banana extract. It doesn't have a weird chemical taste that I have seen people complain about in other brands. I like a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and a ¼ teaspoon of banana extract occasionally.
And it makes an awesome Keto banana bread.
- Add a ¼ teaspoon of maple extract, cinnamon and chopped pecans for a fantastic Fall treat.
- Add pumpkin spice to it! You know you want to. You can get the recipe to make your own pumpkin spice seasoning and save money here.
- This cereal is only limited to your imagination. Be creative!
I think that's it for this Hot Keto Cereal, it's really easy and inexpensive to make.
I hope you try it and leave a comment for me on how you spiced it up!
If you are looking for other fantastic Keto Recipes you can find them here.
Annnnnd, a lot of Keto Lifestyle tips to help you understand how and why Keto works along with tips to make it easier.
Keto Hot Cereal (Cream of Not-Wheat)
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- erythritol *optional and to taste
- Microwave the frozen cauliflower in a covered microwave safe dish on high for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and take the lid off to cool for ten minutes or so. This lets the steam escape and dries out the cauliflower.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blitz on high until smooth.
- Add whatever spices you like to each serving or to the whole batch as desired.
- Store in the fridge (covered) until ready to eat. This will keep for a week.
- Reheat portions and add cinnamon, erythritol, berries, vanilla or maple extracts as desired.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
The nutritional information on this site is provided as a courtesy. We try really hard to be accurate. But if you feel like anything is off please feel free to do your own calculations.
If you need other Keto Breakfast options I recommend checking out these recipes:
- Keto Waffles
- Low Carb French Toast Muffins
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Two Minute Hash Browns
- Egg Tacos
- How to make the perfect omelet.
That's it for now Beautiful Keto People!